Pregnant and needing a new snack idea while on the go?
Are you tired of hummus? Often the lack of appetite during pregnancy, especially in the first trimester, can make it hard to find something that interests your hunger. In the last trimester of pregnancy, it can be more challenging to find ideas for snacks that are easy to pack (and need no refrigeration) when you are off to all those e appointments. Here is an easy recipe for roasted chickpeas that can be adapted using your favourite spices.
Chickpeas are a crunchy snack, that adds protein and fibre to your daily intake and are a source of folate. They’re also a great complement for salads, and soups. Try them when you’re craving something more than hummus.
What do you need?
- 1 can of chickpeas 19oz (540mL)
- 1 tbsp of olive oil 15mL
- 2 tsp of your favourite spice 10mL
- ¼ tsp of Coarse salt 1mL
- Preheat oven at 350 F
- Rinse chickpeas and dry them with paper towel (this will help with even cooking and increase crispness)
- In a bowl mix all the ingredients and place in a cookie sheet
- Bake chickpeas for 40 minutes or until toasted (as an option you can shake the cookie sheet every 15 minutes to prevent them from burning)
- Let cool for 5 minutes
Spice it up!
You can use any spice you like to add flavor to this snack. Here are a few ideas to try:
- fresh or dry rosemary
- cayenne pepper
- cinnamon and brown sugar