Constipation is common during pregnancy, it’s usually caused by a combination of slow digestion, use of iron supplements and the lack of fibre, fluid and activity in your day. Those who are pregnant are recommended to consume 28 g of fibre each day.
Dietary fibre is found naturally in vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans, lentils, nuts and seeds.
Tips to increase fibre in your diet:
- Select fruit and vegetables with edible skin, such as apples, peaches or potatoes, making sure to eat the skin as well; you’ll get about twice the amount of fibre when doing so.
- Eat grains such as oat, barley, quinoa, millet, and brown or wild rice.
- Look for flours that are whole grain and choose products with added bran.
- Top your cereals, soups, and salads with chia seeds and hemp hearts which are all high in fibre.
Fibre intake should be increased slowly, with increased fluids to avoid gas, bloating and diarrhea.
Try this recipe to add 11 grams of fibre to your meal!
Brown Rice Risotto with Sweet Potatoes & Chickpeas
|2 tbsp||Canola oil||30 mL|
|1||Medium onion, chopped||1|
|2||Garlic cloves, finely minced||2|
|1||Green pepper, chopped||1|
|1||Medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped||1|
|¾ cup||Brown rice, short grained||175 mL|
|1 cup||Reduced sodium vegetable broth||250 mL|
|1 tsp||All-purpose flour||5 mL|
|1 cup||1% milk||250 mL|
|1 can (19 oz)||Chickpeas, drained and rinsed||540 mL|
|2 tsp||Light parmesan cheese (≤20% M.F.), grated (optional)||30 mL|
- Heat oil and sauté onion, garlic, green pepper and sweet potato in a large pot over medium heat until tender.
- Add brown rice to the pot, mix and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add broth and allow to boil.
- Mix flour and milk together in separate bowl and slowly add mixture to the boiling pot.
- Stir, lower heat and allow pot to simmer, stir occasionally until rice is near tender.
- Add chickpeas and dried basil, let it simmer for a few minutes and remove from heat.
- Add parmesan cheese (optional) and remove from heat.
Makes 4 servings