Other than having leftovers from last night’s dinner, sandwiches are my quick way of throwing together a lunch in under 10 minutes. Here are my top 5 go-to sandwiches. I usually try to add some vegetables into my sandwiches. Give them a try!
Between 2 slices of whole grain bread, add:
- A slice of marble cheese, slices of lettuce and tomatoes
- Half an avocado, tomato slices, some baby spinach leaves and a handful of chickpeas (whole or smashed)
- Leftover cooked chicken, lettuce and tomatoes or salsa
- A sliced hardboiled egg, lettuce, and mayonnaise
- Canned light tuna (drained), a bit of chopped onion, mayonnaise and lettuce
Here’s a super simple bonus idea: peanut butter and jam! Something I grew up with as a child and ate almost 5 days a week.
- Season your sandwiches with any spices you enjoy! I enjoy ground black pepper but adding a squeeze of lime juice, some paprika or chili flakes can spice things up too!
- Toast the bread or grill the sandwich to make it a warm lunch.
- Put lettuce as the first layer on the bread so foods that have more moisture, such as tomatoes or tuna, won’t soak through the bread as quickly.
- For some extra nutrition, pair your sandwich up with: a fruit, some cut up vegetables or a handful of nuts. And don’t forget to drink your water!
There’s so many different ways to build a sandwich.
We can use tortilla or pitas instead of bread, use hummus instead of meat, and add crunchy foods for texture such as radishes or apple slices. The possibilities are endless!
How do you build yours? Share in the comments below!