Are you struggling with how to keep your child engaged and healthy during the COVID-19 pandemic? Are you running out of ideas and activities?
Here are a few tips to help your day go a little easier:
- Keep a daily routine. Children do well when they know what to expect and breaking the day into smaller more manageable parts can help them cope.
- Rotate toys and materials. Pick a few things to leave out and put the rest out of sight. Then rotate the toys once or twice a week. It will feel like they have new toys.
- Try to go outside at least once a day. Take your child on a discovery walk, explore your neighbourhood or find some green space to play.
- Give your child opportunities to move their bodies: run, jump, hop, climb, dance and be loud.
- Set aside time for quiet play: reading, colouring, puzzles and making crafts.
Did you know that many EarlyON Child and Family Centres are offering virtual and telephone services to support parents and engage young children and their families?
Services include story, music, craft, cooking and fitness activities as well as telephone services for families who may need additional support.
Check out the list of all EarlyON Centers offering virtual services to find a program that fits into your routine. You can download a printable resource that has activities you can do with your child at home.
You will also find a COVID-19 Resource List for Families which has information and resources on many different topics including: mental health support, financial support, food, housing and shelter support, legal services, health information, domestic violence and crisis support, community resources, and more…
If you have questions about taking care of baby, speak to a Public Health Nurse on eChat or call (416) 338-7600.