Looking for a free prenatal and parenting program you can access anywhere, anytime, 24/7?
You may have many questions about your pregnancy, what to expect during labour and delivery, how to prepare for your baby’s arrival and how to care for a baby.
Now that many programs and services are cancelled or postponed due to the pandemic you have to look for some answers online. But there is a lot of information out there. How do you know which websites you can trust?
Toronto Public Health’s “Welcome to Parenting” program includes both prenatal and parenting classes for Toronto families who are pregnant and/or have a baby up to six months of age.
What can you expect?
Welcome to Parenting (WTP) offers the convenience and flexibility that you need. There are 53 informative and interactive classes with videos, games, recipes and community resources information.
These classes are reviewed by parenting experts and medical professionals to ensure that the information is up to date.
Prenatal topics include:
- Prenatal care
- Fetal development
- Pregnancy red flags
- Labour and delivery
- Managing pain in labour
- Nutrition, exercise, sleep
- Environmental risks for you and your baby
- Sexuality in pregnancy
- Becoming parents
- Finances… hidden costs of having a baby
- Baby gear
- Preparation for baby’s arrival
Parenting topics include:
- Infant growth and development
- Infant feeding and nutrition
- Soothing a crying baby
- Transition to parenthood
- Emotional adjustment
- Healthy sexuality after a baby
Other available supports within WTP include:
- Parenting Q&A where professionals are available to answer your questions
- Parent Zone to connect online with other families in Toronto
- Dad’s Corner and Mum’s Corner
- Red Flags section that can help you decide when you or your child may need to go to a health care provider