When planning a pregnancy, how many times have you heard from family and friends to “just relax, you’re trying too hard.” It turns out that there is some truth to this old saying. With the pressures and busyness of our everyday lives – stress is unavoidable. We now know that managing stress may help improve one’s chances of conceiving. Just how does stress affect fertility?
Studies have shown that hormones responsible for releasing eggs from the fallopian tubes can be disrupted in those who experience high stress levels. Stress may also lower sperm count.
Everyone has some stress and this is perfectly normal. However if you feel that your stress is getting out of hand, take care of your mental health by reducing the stress in your life.
Tips to manage your stress:
- Make a list of all the things that cause you stress
- Make a plan to reduce your stress
√ Get enough rest/sleep
√ If planning a pregnancy, avoid alcohol, tobacco, and drugs
- Surround yourself with positive people who help you feel good about yourself
- Assess your relationship with your partner and ask yourself if you feel safe, trusted, and respected before becoming pregnant
- Talk to someone you trust
- If you need to talk to someone outside your circle of family and friends, speak to your family doctor or contact a mental health professional.
REMEMBER: Keeping your stress level and mental health in check is a part of your overall health when planning a pregnancy.
Comment below to share some tips on managing stress that has worked for you!