The foods you eat help fuel your body with vitamins and minerals. During pregnancy your body is working hard to help your baby grow, therefore it needs additional protein and energy. Eating small frequent meals and snacks during the day will help achieve this goal.
Protein and energy will help your baby grow, ensure you gain enough weight and help you feel your best.
So, what are energy bites?
These are no bake healthy snacks that have been the talk of the town. While seemingly small they’re often loaded with fibre and protein. 1-2 bite size balls go a long way in helping both your taste buds and your body feel satisfied.
They are available anywhere from grocery stores to your local coffee shop. But why not try making them at home with the family.
Energy Bites Recipe
- 2 cup Rolled oats 500 mL
- 1 ¼ cup All natural peanut or soy butter 300 mL
- 1 cup Ground Flax 250 mL
- ½ cup Honey 175 mL
- ¾ cup Dried cranberries 175 mL
- ½ cup Chocolate chips 125 mL
- ¼ cup Sliced almonds 60 mL
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the peanut (or soy) butter, honey and flax very well.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Take a spoonful of the mixture and roll into 1 inch balls.
- Place balls on the lined baking sheet and put in the refrigerator for 20 mins.
Keep energy bites in an air tight container in the refrigerator for 1 week.
Freeze them for up to 1 month.
Try these substitutions: sunflower seeds, dates or even coconut flakes.
Recipe makes approximately 25, 1 inch balls.
Share some of your healthy snack recipes by commenting below.