A Healthy Homemade Recipe for Granola
Have you ever read the ingredient list on a box or bag of store-bought granola? What is “acacia gum” and why is it in granola? When you make homemade granola, you can focus on healthy, natural ingredients –good for both you and your baby. My recipe has eight ingredients only and you likely have all of them in your kitchen right now!
Quick and easy to make, this granola is filled with nutrients you need in pregnancy or while breastfeeding: iron for healthy blood, fibre for a healthy colon and natural sugar giving you morning fuel to start your day.
Try this granola recipe, with 2% milk and a banana; a healthy simple breakfast –and the most important meal of your day!
- 3 cups large flake oats
- 1 ½ cups nuts/seeds of your choice
- ½ cup honey or maple syrup
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ cup dried fruit (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Mix the oats, nuts and seeds in a large bowl. Whisk honey, oil, vanilla and cinnamon in a bowl. Pour liquid over the dry mixture, toss to coat.
4. Spread the mixture evenly on the baking sheet.
5. Bake for 40 minutes, but stir every 15 minutes.
6. Let granola cool. Once cooled, stir in dried fruit if using.
7. Place in an airtight container where it can be stored for a few weeks.
Prep time: 10 minutes Total time: 50 minutes Servings: 4 cups
You can also take this granola with you as an easy snack on the go!