Cream cheese made from yogurt is better for you than store-bought. It’s easy to make and so good for you! This delicious cream cheese recipe has calcium, is low in fat and loaded with healthy live cultures. Calcium and vitamin D help keep our bones strong and your baby’s too! So for added nutrition in this recipe, choose a yogurt that also contains vitamin D.
This recipe is perfect to make the night before and have for breakfast in the morning. A 500 gram plain yogurt container should make about 500 ml of cream cheese. Or, the small 175 gram container will make about 125 ml.
The easiest way to make this cream cheese recipe is the coffee filter method.
What you’ll need:
1. Place a strainer over a bowl. Line the inside of the strainer with a coffee filter. Pour 2% MF plain yogurt into the filter. You’ll see that the whey starts to separate from the liquid.
2. Cover with plastic wrap and place the strainer and bowl in the refrigerator overnight. The longer it stays in the refrigerator the better – but keep it there for at least 24 hours.
3. In the morning, spoon the thickened yogurt into an airtight container.
4. Be creative and add sweet or savoury flavours to this healthy cream cheese recipe. Try it with applesauce, berries, honey, fresh or dried herbs. Enjoy on crackers, bread or bagels.
- The prepared cream cheese can be stored in the refrigerator for one week.