Sometimes I get tired of drinking plain water. Knowing that most of my fluid intake should come from water, I have to make it more interesting. So, when my clients are not drinking enough water I suggest that they try adding fruits, vegetables, herbs or spices for flavour.
Pregnant and breastfeeding women need to stay hydrated because their bodies need more fluid during these times. Drinking fluids, especially water, helps to satisfy thirst and prevent dehydration. Aim to drink about 10 cups (2.5 litres) every day.
A safe way to add flavour to your drink when you’re pregnant or breastfeeding
What you’ll need:
- A jug
- 4 cups (1 Litre) of water
- A spoon or stir stick
Although there are a lot of products in stores to add flavour to water, they’re not all safe for pregnant and breastfeeding women. The good thing about making your own flavoured water, is that you decide what goes into it.
Try one of my top 5 flavoured water recipes:
- A hand full of mint sprigs
- 1 lime, sliced
2. Cherry-Berry Bomb:
- 10-12 cherries, sliced in half
- 5-6 strawberries, sliced into small pieces
3. Cucumber Watermelon Splash:
- ¼ cucumber, sliced
- watermelon, 5-10 slices
4. Lemon Zinger:
- 1 lemon, sliced
- ½ grapefruit, sliced
- cayenne pepper, one dash
5. Orange You Happy:
- ½ orange, sliced
- 1 tablespoon of shredded, unsweetened coconut
You can keep your water cool in the fridge for about 3-4 days.
More tips to add flavour to your water:
- use carbonated (fizzy) water instead of flat water
- place fruit into ice cube trays, add water and freeze
- add frozen fruit instead of fresh
- cut ingredients into fun shapes
- use a spoon to smash ingredients to add more flavour.
The amount of flavour combinations you can add to water is endless. What are your favourites?