This recipe is high in Iron, Vitamin C and Vitamin A — important nutrients for mom-to-be.
This taco salad recipe is a great way to dress up a boring salad and turn it into a main meal. The beef, beans and spinach in this recipe are good sources of iron. Iron helps carry oxygen throughout your body. The vitamin C in the peppers and tomatoes help your body absorb more of the iron.
Vitamin A is found in the spinach, tomatoes, peppers and other vegetables that you add to this salad. It helps with immune function, vision, healthy skin, and strong bones and teeth.
Makes 10 servings
Preparation time 20-30 minutes
- 2 lb (900 g) lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green or red pepper, chopped
- 1 can (19 oz or 540 mL) mixed beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp (10 mL) cumin
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) garlic powder
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1 can (28 oz or 796 mL) Diced tomatoes, drained
- 10 cups shredded romaine lettuce or spinach (about 2 heads of lettuce)
- 200 g (7 oz) cheddar cheese, grated
Plain yogurt, chopped tomato, chopped cucumber, corn, avocado, whole grain tortilla chips
- Brown the ground beef in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, green or red pepper and beans to pan. Fry until meat is completely cooked.
- Stir in the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt and crushed tomatoes. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Wash, drain, dry and shred lettuce. Put lettuce in a bowl.
- Grate cheddar cheese. Put grated cheddar cheese, and any other toppings in separate containers.
- Fill your bowl with lettuce, meat and bean mixture, cheese and toppings & enjoy
Tip: You can also serve this salad with whole wheat pita wedges or rice.