Cravings are normal during pregnancy. It’s your body reminding you to eat so you get the nutrients you need to grow your baby. Occasionally, it is fine to eat unhealthy foods, however the problem starts when it is the only thing you reach for.
So how do you curb these cravings into healthy ones?
Here’s 5 tips to help you get back on track:
- Have small but frequent meals and snacks during the day. Going too long between meals results in your body telling your mind to eat, which usually results in reaching for sweet foods to help raise our blood sugar levels quickly.
- Stock up on healthy snacks that are easy to grab and go. Here are some of our favourites.
- Pack healthy food options to take with you when you are out (try this easy snack). This way you are more likely to reach for one of these snacks than to go to a vending machine or corner store for something less healthy.
- Try to go shopping on a full stomach and when you have lots of energy. This way you will be less tempted to choose foods that are high in sugar.
- Limit the sugary foods you keep at home. Like the saying goes, “out of sight, out of mind”
Did you know March is nutrition month?
Take the fight out of your cravings and join Dietitians of Canada where we share new creative snack recipes that you can try.
Share your tips for curbing those pregnancy cravings into healthy ones by commenting below.
For further nutrition tips, chat with a Toronto Public Health dietitian (416) 338-7600.