I often get puzzled looks when I ask about beets. Some don’t know what beets are and others find them hard to cook with. Why is beet root a good idea? This vegetable is available almost year round in Canada and it is more versatile than you think!
My grandma used to grate them raw in a salad, pickle them and even made a cold soup with them. Roasted mixed in with greens, pieces of cheese and nuts is my favourite way of eating them.
3 reasons that makes beets a great choice for your menu during pregnancy:
- a source of vitamin C and fibre
- an excellent source of folate
- available almost year round in Canada
Have a look at this tip a staff at a community organization shared with me… she suggested baking beets ahead of time that will keep in your fridge for a few days while adding a roasted flavour to them.
What you need:
- Tin foil
- Olive oil
- Raw beets with the skin
Putting it all together:
- Wash beets under cold water and cut the ends off.
- Sprinkle with olive oil and then wrap them together with tin foil, creating a tight seal.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 2 hours or until soft.
- Keep them in the fridge wrapped until you are ready to use them.
- Peel the skin off, it should come out very easily by pulling it out.
For more healthy eating tips, connect with our health professionals via eChat or call (416) 338-7600.