My mom was always telling me to eat my fruits and veggies to stay healthy. She was right. Read on for 10 suggestions to eat health-promoting vegetables and fruits:
How can you eat veggies and fruits daily?
- Have a fruit at breakfast
You can add your favourite fruit like melons, oranges, or strawberries to your plate beside your eggs, toast, and glass of milk.
- Take a container of cut-up veggies and fruits in your lunch box
Try one container full of cherry tomatoes and cucumber; and another one with pineapple and kiwi.
- Add fruits and veggies in your baking
Make an apple crisp or try this quick and simple pumpkin bake.
- Add two steamed vegetables to your dinner plate
An easy one to start with is broccoli and cauliflower, alongside your fish, couscous, and small container of yogurt.
- Add cut-up veggies to your soups, stews, and casseroles
You can try adding cut-up zucchini and eggplant to a meat casserole – yummy!
- Add fruits and veggies to a frozen homemade treat
- Pack whole fruits and chopped up veggies for snack
When you’re off to the park or heading out for the day, pack whole apples, carrots and celery sticks.
- Add fruits to your cereal
Try different combinations of fruits such as raspberries and blueberries to your bran flakes cereal with milk.
- Make a parfait with yogurt, cereal, and fruit
You can add cut-up peaches to granola and yogurt.
- Make a shake with fruits, veggies, milk, and other favourite ingredients
Banana, strawberries, carrots, milk, and yogurt, and anything else you want to add in.
Have more questions on ways to eat more vegetables and fruits? Speak directly with a health professional on e-chat or call 416-338-7600.