In Canada, Breastfeeding Week is celebrated annually on October 1-7th to promote the importance of breastfeeding.
Breastfeeding provides a number of benefits:
- breast milk helps protect your baby from ear infections, coughs and colds and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
- breastfeeding helps protect you from breast cancer, diabetes and ovarian cancer
- promotes closeness and bonding with your baby.
- is low cost and convenient
- is environmentally friendly, no packaging or waste
Tips to make breastfeeding a success:
- Toronto Public Health offers breastfeeding support. A Public Health Nurse will be happy to answer any questions you have; call us at 416-338-7600, e-mail PublicHealth@toronto.ca or e-chat or visit one of our breastfeeding clinics.
- Family and friends are welcomed to attend our breastfeeding clinics to learn more about breastfeeding and ways to provide support.
- Breastfeeding is portable, you can breastfeed in public anywhere, anytime. According to the Ontario Human Rights Commission policy, no one should stop a parent from breastfeeding their child, ask them to cover up or move to another place.
- If you are planning to continue breastfeeding when you return to work discuss your plans with your employer. The Ontario Human Rights Commission states that employers are required to accommodate parents who are breastfeeding.
- Learn more about how family and friends can support breastfeeding.
Help us celebrate World Breastfeeding Week by sharing these messages with your family and friends.