In Canada, Breastfeeding Week is celebrated annually on October 1-7th to promote the importance of breastfeeding. This year’s theme is “Support breastfeeding for a healthier planet.”
Breastfeeding contributes to a healthier planet by….
- being environmentally friendly, there is no packaging or waste
- being low cost, convenient and readily available
- reducing baby’s exposure to the effects of toxins in the environment
- continuing to provide optimal nutrition for babies during an emergency or natural disaster
- helping to protect babies and children from infections and strengthen their immunity.
Toronto Public Health offers the following supports to help you along your breastfeeding journey; a Public Health Nurse will be happy to answer any questions you have.
- Virtual breastfeeding support by video call. Complete this online form
- Call us at 416-338-7600
- e-mail PublicHealth@toronto.ca
- e-chat ca/health/eChat
Visit the Toronto Public Health website for information, how to videos and tips on breastfeeding.
Support breastfeeding for a healthier planet!
Help us celebrate World Breastfeeding Week by sharing these messages with your family and friends.