You can prepare this recipe using almost any fish you like. I prefer using salmon, either leftover filets or canned. I have tried different fish cake recipes over the years. The one that I am sharing with you is my favourite one.
What I like about fish cakes:
- they are easy to combine with other foods
- you can eat them in a bun or wrapped in a tortilla
- it refreshes that leftover fish from the fridge in a fun way
This recipe makes 4 fish cakes:
|1 can||Salmon with skin removed||213 g|
|1 cup||Potatoes, cooked and mashed||250 ml|
|1/4 cup||Onion, finely chopped||63 ml|
|2 tbsp||Celery, finely chopped||30 ml|
|1/4 cup||Red pepper, finely chopped||60 ml|
|1 tsp||Lemon juice||5 ml|
|1 tbsp||Parsley, chopped (optional)||15 ml|
|1 cup||Breadcrumbs||250 ml|
|1 tbsp||Vegetable oil||15 ml|
Putting it all together:
- In a large bowl, mixed together the salmon, mashed potatoes, onion, celery, red pepper, lemon juice and parsley.
- Add the egg and mix well.
- Shape this mixture into 4 round cake-like shapes.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a shallow dish and press each cake into the crumbs making sure it coats all sides evenly.
- Heat oil on medium heat in a non-stick pan and cook cakes until brown, about 4 minutes on each side.