This lentil soup is a healthy, nutritious meal that is chock full of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients. It is very high in beta-carotene, which is a nutrient that is converted to vitamin A in the body. It is also loaded with B vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin K, minerals (calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc) and other nutrients like fibre, fluid, and it’s low in sodium.
It’s delicious and easy to make. If you’re in a hurry, you can use canned lentils; otherwise, you can substitute with dried lentils. They just need a longer cooking time. Feel free to cut, add, or change spices according to your family’s tastes.
Get the kids helping in the kitchen with this recipe!
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 tomatoes, large, finely chopped
1 can (540 ml) lentils, drained
1 onion, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, fresh, finely chopped
1 Tbsp ginger, fresh, finely chopped
1 sweet red pepper, finely chopped
2 cups baby spinach, stems removed
1 tsp cumin powder
½ tsp coriander powder
¼ tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper, ground
1 Tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
2 cups water
- Finely chop onion, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, and red pepper. Take off the stems of the baby spinach leaves. Open can of lentils. Rinse and drain.
- Add olive oil to large pot. Add onions to pot. Saute onions on high heat. Turn heat to low, and add garlic and ginger. Add red pepper. Stir.
- Add cumin, coriander, chili powder, salt, and pepper to pot and stir. Add tomatoes. Stir.
- Add drained can of lentils to pot. Add 2 cups water. Stir.
- Add lemon juice. Stir. Add de-stemmed baby spinach leaves to lentil soup pot at the last minute. When leaves are bright green, the soup is ready to eat.
Makes about 6 servings.
Have more questions about recipe ideas for healthy eating? Contact Toronto Health Connection (416) 338-7600 and speak directly with a Registered Dietitian.
Leave a comment below to let us know about other recipes you would like us to share.
Nutrition Information (serving size [~250 ml]):
Cal: 167.5 cal, Protein: 8.96 g, Fat: 5.15 g, Carbohydrates: 23.38 g, Fibre: 4.99 g, Sugars: 4.71 g, Calcium: 35.83 mg, Iron: 3.57 mg, Magnesium: 3.57 mg, Phosphorus: 188.83 mg, Potassium: 280.66 mg, Sodium: 15.5 mg, Zinc: 1.132 mg, Betacarotene: 1193 micrograms, Folacin: 191.83 micrograms, Niacin: 4.19 micrograms, Vitamin C: 40.47 mg, Vitamin K: 58.28 mg.