Did you know October 1-7th is breastfeeding week in Canada? Breastfeeding Week is celebrated annually to promote the importance of breastfeeding, to encourage breastfeeding and to improve the health of babies. The theme this year is Sustaining Breastfeeding Together.
Many families want to breastfeed. Parents want to give their babies the benefits of breastfeeding. For breastfeeding to be successful it requires the support and encouragement of others. It is often said it takes a village to raise a child and as a village we can encourage and support families to breastfeed. We all have a role to play.
How can we help?
Family and friends can make breastfeeding a success by:
- assisting with everyday tasks such as preparing meals, doing laundry and dishes, keeping the house tidy and helping with the other children
- helping care for the baby by bathing and changing diapers. Also babies cry for many reasons and family and friends can provide comfort to the baby by cuddling, walking, singing, playing or dancing.
- limiting telephone calls and keeping visits short
- telling the breastfeeding parent you believe in them and that you are there to help
Employers can help by:
- offering a quiet place for expressing breast milk or breastfeeding
Health Care Professionals can support breastfeeding by:
- talking to pregnant families early
- discussing breastfeeding at prenatal visits
- referring families to breastfeeding services
We can all help by normalizing breastfeeding
- all breastfeeding families have the right to breastfeed their babies in public, never stop a breastfeeding parent from breastfeeding, never ask them to cover up or to move to another place.
Join us in celebrating this year’s World Breastfeeding Week by supporting and encouraging breastfeeding families.