Add some yellow in your soup!
In the last 3 months of pregnancy you will need to boost the protein in your food to keep up with your baby’s growth. Adding dried peas in soups is a great way to go especially if you are feeling sick of meat. It is also a way of adding fibre that tastes good!
Here is an easy recipe to try. You can change the recipe to use any bean you like.
This is what you need:
- Canola oil, 1tbsp
- Onion, 1 chopped
- Carrots, 2 chopped
- Celery stalks, 2 chopped
- Dry yellow split peas, 2 cups
- Dried thyme, ½ tsp
- Reduced sodium vegetable broth,
- Pepper, ½ tsp
Putting it all together
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat,
add onions, carrots and celery and cook until softened.
- Add the split peas, thyme and stock.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer for 1 hour until the peas are tender.
- Add pepper, or other seasoning to taste. Add more water if the soup is too thick.
And it’s ready to eat!
This recipe makes 8 cups. I love this soup with some cheese and a slice of my favourite bread: it is perfect for a cold winter day.
Did you make this recipe? Comment below and share how you
Per cup (250ml) 210 calories, 2,5 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 450 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrates, 4 g fibre, 6 g sugar, 15 g protein, 80% DV vitamin A, 8% DV vitamin C, 6% DV calcium, 15% DV iron.