Looking for that perfect holiday treat that everyone will love? If you are like me, a little sweetness helps put an end to a great meal.
Close your eyes and imagine this:
The smell of cinnamon in the air. Soft fluffy bread with a crunchy layer of deep gold on top. A feeling of warmness filling your mouth as you take a bite. Hints of apple infused with cinnamon creeping into your taste buds.
If this sounds enticing to you, then this bread pudding recipe is a must try.
Bread pudding is like the cousin to French toast. They have similar ingredients, however are put together in a slightly different way. The difference is, one is pan fried and the other is layered baked.
This simple and delicious bread pudding recipe incorporates foods from all food groups. The many nutrients in this recipe will help you and your baby grow and develop.
Another added bonus, it uses everyday staples you have in your home.
|1 tsp||vegetable oil||5 mL|
|4 slices||whole grain bread*||4 slices|
|¾ cup||applesauce, unsweetened||175 mL|
|½ cup||milk, 2% MF or less||125 mL|
|2 tsp||ground cinnamon||10 mL|
|1||apple, cored and diced||1|
|2 tbsp||your favourite yoghurt||30 ml|
- Preheat oven to 375˚F (190˚C).
- Lightly grease an 8″ square baking dish with vegetable oil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, applesauce, milk and cinnamon.
- Cut bread into large cubes and place in the baking dish.
- Pour egg mixture over the bread and press gently so that bread absorbs the egg mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown, puffed and knife inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Serve each slice with a spoonful of yogurt and top with diced fresh apple.
Makes 8 Servings
*Stale bread works best in this recipe.
For some added fiber try adding ¼ cup of raisins to the egg mixture.
Please share your holiday dessert options with us. Comment below!
Speak with a health professional on eChat or call 416-338-7600.