The new Canada’s food guide is encouraging us to be mindful of our current eating habits. This is something that I stress in my discussions with pregnant individuals because it has its benefits when it comes to adapting to pregnancy changes.
What are the benefits of mindful eating in pregnancy?
Mindful eating in pregnancy can help cope with discomforts like nausea, vomiting and lack of appetite. It can also help curb pregnancy cravings.
Mindful eating can be a strategy to help nurture you and your baby adequately and it can help you generate lifelong eating habits.
But what does it mean to be a mindful eater?
- refers to being aware/present with your mind when eating
- promotes acceptance of yourself and what is
- is an idea and state of mind that translates into how you act around eating
- is a process that takes practice therefore also time
- leads to a positive relationship with food and become a “competent eater“
Tips to become mindful of your eating habits:
- Take time to eat
- Notice your hunger cues and follow them
- Create a positive eating environment by sharing meals with others, reduce distractions while eating and even listen to your favourite music while eating
- Use your senses when eating
- Try to actively enjoy at least 1 meal in the day. That also includes all the related activities that go along with it such as planning your meal, picking your food items preparing them and enjoying every bite of it!
It takes time to become a mindful eater but it is never too late to start!
Share your mindful eating tips by commenting below!