Tired of potato salad this summer….why not try summer squash!
Some of the benefits of adding summer squash to your BBQ list:
- more potassium
- vitamin C
- helps you stay hydrated
In Ontario, summer squash are available from late spring to early fall, and come in green or yellow colours.
If you are still wondering what I am talking about, most people call summer squash – Zucchini.
5 different ways to eat summer squash (zucchini):
- Sliced and added to salads
- Cut lengthwise as vegetable sticks with dip
- Grated in breads and muffins
- Spiralized (my personal favourite) as a spaghetti noodle.
Here’s what spiralized zucchini looks like:
You will need a device that can cut the zucchini in long thin noodle like strings. Food processors often have that adaptor or even a simple hand-held device will do.
Quick & healthy zucchini noodle recipe:
- 2 zucchini, spiralized
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil 15ml
- ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper 5ml
- 3tbsp grated Parmesan cheese 45ml
Putting it all together:
- In a saucepan, warm olive oil at medium heat
- Add garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add the zucchini noodles and cook no more than 3 minutes, tossing a few times.
- Remove from heat and add parmesan cheese.
- Enjoy as a side dish for any meal.
Makes 4 servings