If you’re trying to have a baby or are just thinking about it, it’s never too early to start getting ready. Whether you are living with a health condition, or trying to prevent one – it’s important to take this time to talk with your health care provider.
To help improve your health care experience, share your health goals with your health care provider. They can provide the medical information to help you make an informed decision. They can also discuss your family health history, review any medications that you are taking and provide vaccinations that you may need.
Focusing on things you can do before and between pregnancies increases the chance of having a healthy baby. Some health conditions that you may want to discuss include diabetes, thyroid problems, high blood pressure or mental health issues.
You and your partner can make an appointment to talk to your health care provider to discuss ways to manage existing health conditions and choose the best treatment option that fits your lifestyle, values and beliefs.
Here are some questions to ask your health care provider:
- How can we work together to manage my health condition?
- Will my family health history have any effects on a pregnancy or baby?
- Are my medications safe to take before and during a pregnancy? If not, what other medication do I need to take?
- Do I need any further medical tests?
- Do I need to be referred to a specialist?
- If I have had a previous problem during pregnancy, what can I do to prevent these problems?
- Is there any counselling, treatment or other supportive services I may need?
- What vaccinations do I need before getting pregnant?
- Is there a reliable method of birth control that I can use to prevent a pregnancy until my health condition is managed?
Whether this is your first, second, or third baby, it’s important to manage any current health conditions when planning a pregnancy.
2 thoughts on “Health condition and planning a pregnancy”
I really enjoy your blog posts, however, recently they have been arriving without your name, just as Word Press so they have been going to my junk mail.
Thanks for the feedback Serena! We have resolved this on our end. Please let us know if you continue to have any email notification issues.