Drinking enough fluids will help:
- decrease constipation
- control swelling in pregnancy
- control your body temperature
- support the transport of nutrients to and waste from your baby
Drink fluids throughout the day to prevent dehydration. Some signs of dehydration may include: thirst, dry lips, dark yellow urine, and flushed skin.
Tips to help get more fluids into your day:
- Carry a reusable water bottle with you, always! You can stay hydrated while on the go! Reusing a bottle is a low-cost, easy and environmentally friendly way to hydrate.
- Jazz up your water by: adding ice or some cut up fruit or trying carbonated water instead. Try one of our top 5 fruit-flavoured water recipes.
- Make some homemade soup. You can enjoy it with a meal or on its own. It’s also an easy way to add some extra vegetables and protein to your meals!
- Drink hot fluids instead. Don’t like to drink cold fluids? Try a cup of hot water with a slice of lemon or try warm milk. Both are very calming.
- Make a smoothie. A homemade smoothie is nutritious way to stay hydrated. Try blending your favourite fruits or vegetables with some milk or yogurt. Be careful of store-bought smoothies as they can contain a lot of extra sugar!
- Eat fruits and vegetables every day. Keep cut up fruits and vegetables in your fridge for a quick, hydrating snack.
Other healthy fluid choices can include lower fat milk or fortified unsweetened plant-based beverages such as soy or almond beverage. You even get some fluid from the fruits and vegetables you eat.
For more information, access www.unlockfood.ca or call Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000 to speak with a Registered Dietitian.