In Canada, the month of May is dedicated to raising awareness about communication, hearing and vision health!
Over the next few weeks, we will be sharing information about your child’s speech, language, hearing and vision – with tips to monitor your child’s development, expand their skills and set them up for success in school and life!
To get started, let’s talk about the importance of monitoring your child’s development and how to access early intervention services.
Did you know?
- 1 in 13 children have a speech and/or language delay
- 1 in 10 preschoolers wear glasses or have eye/vision problems
- 4 in 1000 children live with permanent hearing loss
Many families are surprised to learn that speech, hearing and vision concerns are so common. When a child is having difficulty with speech, language, hearing or vision, it can impact other areas of their learning and development. This is one reason why it is so important to monitor your child’s development as they grow.
Developmental milestones for speech and language, hearing and vision can help you track your child’s development.
If your child is not meeting certain milestones, or if you are concerned about their skills – reach out for support as soon as possible. Early intervention will help your child get ready for their next steps in development, and catch up to their peers.
Here is some information to help you find services in your community:
|If you have concerns with…||Recommendation|
|Speech & Language||Register your baby or preschool-aged child for an assessment through the Preschool Speech and Language Program|
|Hearing||Have your newborn baby’s hearing screened or ask your doctor for a referral to an audiologist for a hearing test If your child has a permanent hearing loss, register for services through the Infant Hearing Program|
|Vision||Have your baby’s vision tested by an optometrist If your child experiences blindness or low vision, register for services through the Blind-Low Vision Early Intervention Program|
For more information:
- Connect with a public health nurse via eChat or call 416-338-7600
- Learn more about speech & language, hearing and vision
- Contact Surrey Place to register for a newborn hearing screen or early intervention services:
- Learn more about Speech & Hearing Month
- Learn more about Vision Health Month