Calling all peach enthusiasts, it is that time of year again- Peach Season! If you are like me, your taste buds have been tickling at the thought of juicy mouth-watering peaches. Peach crisp, peach pie, peach jam, peach mango salsa, savoury or sweet you just cannot get enough of them.
How to buy
When choosing peaches, look for:
- vibrant yellow or orange colors are best
- firm fruits that are free of bruises
- a pleasant, peach-like aroma
Avoid undertones of green, which mean that the peaches were picked too soon and may not ripen. The best peaches not only look good, but smell good too.
How to store:
Peaches will continue to ripen after they’ve been harvested if you leave them at room temperature. They should not be refrigerated until they are fully ripe. Chilling them before that will result in a change of texture and a fruit that has less flavor.
You can also freeze peaches. Frozen peaches are great in smoothies and pies, just remember to cut them up before!
Here’s my two favourite peach recipes that you and your family can enjoy: Peach Blueberry Crisp and Peach Mango Salsa.
Peach Blueberry Crisp
|1L||Sliced fresh or frozen peaches||4 cups|
|250 ml||Fresh or frozen blueberries||1 cup|
|15 ml||All-purpose flour||1 tbsp|
|125 ml||Brown sugar||1/2 cup|
|125 ml||Rolled oats||1/2 cup|
|2 ml||Ground cinnamon||1/2tsp|
|60 ml||Non-hydrogenated margarine||1/4 cup|
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180°C)
- Thoroughly wash blueberries and peaches before preparing.
- Combine the peaches, blueberries and flour in a medium baking dish.
- In a bowl prepare the topping by mixing together the brown sugar, oats, cinnamon and margarine. Mix together until crumbly.
- Sprinkle the topping over the fruit.
- Baked uncovered for 40 minutes or until the fruit is tender when tested with a fork.
Makes 12 servings
Per serving: 115 calories, 4.5 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 55 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1.5 g fibre, 14 g sugar, 1 g protein, 8% DV vitamin A, 8% DV vitamin C.
Peach Mango Salsa
|500ml||Ripe peaches||2 cups|
|250ml||Mango, peeled and cubed||1 cup|
|250 ml||Strawberries, sliced||1 cup|
|125 mL||Red onion, finely chopped||1/2 cup|
|30 mL||White sugar||2tbsp|
|45 mL||Coriander, chopped (optional)||3tbsp|
- In a bowl, mix mango, peaches, strawberries, red onion, sugar and lime juice together. Stir gently until well blended.
- Cover and let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes. Stir in coriander if desired.
Makes 4 servings
Per serving: 87 calories, 5 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 0 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 3 g fibre, 16 g sugar, 2 g protein, 10% DV vitamin A, 80% DV vitamin C.