Start your day on a sweet note! Ontario field strawberries are available yearly starting in May. Try them in this easy pancake recipe that offers a delicious twist on the usual pancakes and syrup. It pairs the warm flavours of cinnamon and ginger with a light, fruity strawberry sauce. It’s a perfect way to energize on a sunny morning and takes under 30 minutes to make!
Adding fruit to recipes is an easy way to boost nutrients and fibre.
Child-friendly: Allow your little ones to help you make the pancake batter or help clean up spills. Older children can flip pancakes and work on their knife skills by cutting the strawberries.
Cook once, eat twice: Try making a big batch of pancakes and freeze the extras for later. Reheat throughout the week for a no-fuss breakfast or as a satisfying snack with yogurt and a sprinkle of chopped nuts.
Strawberries are a refreshing source of vitamin C and folate. These nutrients help boost your immune system and support extra blood production during pregnancy.
Cinnamon-Ginger Pancakes with Strawberry Sauce Recipe
|For the pancakes:|
|375 ml||whole wheat flour||1 1/2 cups|
|30 ml||rolled oats||2 tbsp|
|15 ml||baking powder||1 tbsp|
|15 ml||brown sugar||1 tbsp|
|2.5 ml||ground cinnamon||1/2 tsp|
|1 ml||ground ginger||1/4 tsp|
|310 ml||2% milk||1 1/4 cups|
|45 ml||vegetable oil||3 tbsp|
|5 ml||vegetable oil – for pan||1 tsp|
|For the strawberry sauce:|
|250 ml||fresh or frozen strawberries, diced||1 cup|
|125 ml||water||1/2 cup|
|15 ml||granulated sugar||1 tbsp|
|15 ml||cornstarch||1 tbsp|
|30 ml||cold water||2 tbsp|
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, oats, baking powder, brown sugar, cinnamon, and ginger.
- In another bowl, whisk egg, milk, and 45 mL (3 tbsp) vegetable oil. Pour into flour mixture and stir ingredients until just combined. For fluffy pancakes, try not to over-stir!
- Heat a frying pan on medium heat.
- Pour 60 mL (1/4 cup) batter into the pan for each pancake. Cook until bubbles start to appear at the surface of the pancake. Flip pancake and cook other side until golden brown. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Place the diced strawberries into a small sauce pan and add 125 mL (1/2 cup) water. Bring mixture to a boil. Once the sauce is boiling, add sugar and stir.
- In a separate small bowl, mix cornstarch with 30 mL (2 tbsp) cold water. Once combined, add to strawberry sauce and reduce heat to a simmer. Stir until sauce has thickened, and remove from heat.
- Sauce can be served hot or cold over pancakes. Enjoy!
Makes 12 pancakes
Per serving: 120 calories, 5g fat, 1g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 17g carbohydrate, 2g fibre, 4g sugars, 4g protein, 20mg cholesterol, 20mg sodium, 2% DV potassium, 15% DV calcium, 0% DV iron.