Health Canada has recently released a newer version of Canada’s Food Guide to help us make healthier choices. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding you already know the importance of healthy eating for you and your baby.
One new key message is one that encourages Canadians to cook more often.
5 benefits of cooking often:
- You can cook foods that you and your family like and in the process you may learn new skills and delicious recipes!
- Getting your kids and/or partner involved in the kitchen adds to the enjoyment.
- You can choose healthier ingredients; for example use more vegetables/fruits, whole grain products and high protein foods.
- Save money. Restaurant food is often more expensive than your homemade foods.
- Save time. You can batch cook, meaning you cook a larger amount and freeze for later.
Try the following lasagna recipe. It freezes very well in individual containers for later.
Spinach Cottage Cheese Lasagna
Preparation Time: 15 minutes and Cooking Time: 1 hour
|9||lasagna noodles, whole wheat||9|
|10oz.||package frozen spinach, thawed||1|
|3 cups||low sodium pasta sauce||750 mL|
|1||5 ½ oz. can low sodium tomato paste||1|
|1||container (500g) of 1% M.F. cottage cheese||1|
|½ cup||light parmesan cheese with ≤20% M.F.||125 mL|
|2 cups||grated light (part-skim) mozzarella cheese with ≤20% M.F.||500 mL|
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook lasagne noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix thawed spinach with cottage cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- In a saucepan, mix Pasta Sauce with tomato paste. Heat over medium-high heat. Turn heat to low. Simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Spread thick layer of sauce on the bottom of a 13x9x2 inch (3.5L) baking pan.
- Arrange 3 lasagna noodles over the sauce. Spread with 1/3 of the sauce, 1/3 of the cottage cheese mixture and 1/3 of the grated cheese.
- Repeat Step 6 two more times.
- Bake lasagna for 30 – 40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 6 servings
Please let us know how you like this recipe, or share other favorite recipes you like to cook by commenting below.