Positive mental health is our ability to feel, think, and act in ways that allow us to enjoy life and deal with life’s challenges. Our mental health is affected by many different things including our work-life balance, our relationships with others and our environments.
Having a healthy eating pattern is one of many activities that can help:
- manage your stress levels
- impact how you feel
- improve your energy
Support your healthy eating habits and choices by using Canada’s Food Guide.
Aim for small changes. If eating feels like a big challenge during stressful times, try:
- Eating small amounts often if you cannot eat a proper meal, even if it is a couple of bites. This is something I tell my clients if they are struggling to eat well. A little bit is better than none at all.
- Having healthy snacks handy, like fruits, nuts or seeds, in your bag whenever you go out.
- Having water handy at all times. Staying hydrated is just as important as eating well.
- Enjoying a healthy take-out meal when you are too tired to cook.
- Eating in-person with a family member/friend who is in your social circle or consider connecting virtually with other family/friends
For more tips on food and mood, see:
To speak with:
- A Registered Dietitian, contact Telehealth Ontario 1-866-797-0000 Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.
- A Public Health Nurse, contact Toronto Public Health at 416-338-7600 or e-chat.